Noodles in Peanut Sauce with Baked Crab Rangoons - Recipes of the Decade

My kitchen and I are the bestest of BFF's this year. I think I have cooked more in the last 18 months in this kitchen than I did in five years in the mini-kitchen we had in our apartment. And this is an enlightenment that all of you can learn from:
If you want to learn to cook - buy a house.
Back when I first started branching out in the cooking world, I intended to have a new recipe every week. Unfortunately, I am a slave to the man and I have to actually work outside my home for a very long period of time four days a week (one glorious day each week I get to work from home). For those of you who don't know - cooking takes time. Not just the actual creating the food part, but prep work ahead of time and cleaning up afterwards. Even if you clean as you go, it's still a long process.
HOWEVER - I do enjoy doing it, I just wish I had more opportunity.

AND I really love doing it when a recipe comes out REALLY well.

Last week I tried making two new recipes for our dinner. I know, cuh-RAZY, right? TWO new recipes-one night, all by myself!! Andrew was at choir so there was no one to rush to look for while I was supposed to be continuously stirring something on the stove. Let's not forget that I'm an amateur chef, k? TWO recipes in one night is a big feat. BUT - I totally nailed it! This was by far my best adventure in cooking yet.
The main recipe is called Chinese Noodles with Broccoli in Peanut Sauce, but we're going to rename it to: Peanut Goodness. As in - Oh My Goodness, it doesn't get any better than this.

The second recipe was for baked crab rangoons. Baked= healthified, right? Crab rangoons=heavenly goodness. Again, as in - Oh My Goodness, this is the best thing ever.

I found the recipes from separate bloggers over the course of the last couple weeks and I just knew they had to go together and I'm not sure what could have made this dinner any better. Nothing really-it was as perfect as it gets. Andrew and I gushed over it, proof we loved it. Andrew's friend Jeff actually ate it, which is proof he loved it (he lives on pb&j and McDonalds). We had leftovers for two days. The noodles weren't as great reheated, but still enjoyable.

Here's a few photos of my cooking endeavors, with the recipes at the bottom. I highly recommend you try them yourself.
Mike's Hard Lemonade is not in the ingredients list, but I've found it's always good to have within arms reach while cooking!

The original recipe was just broccoli, I also used fresh asparagus (because I had some I needed to use) and chicken breasts (to make it more filling).

We doctored the peanut sauce recipe a little bit as it tasted a lot like straight peanut butter.

I handmade rangoons!!! Who would have thought that was possible?? Not me, not Andrew.

Magic happening.

Dinner is served!!!
 This will absolutely be a dinner that I make again. I could have it every week and never get tired of it. Andrew might though, so I'll space it out to a couple times a month. (but when he goes to college...this might be my main meal weekly).

The recipes:
Peanut Goodness

Ingredients:
  • 1 pack of any Miracle Noodle Pasta (I like the spaghetti or Fettuccine)- I used a regular Thai noodle as I can't find any of this Miracle Noodle stuff locally, however, it looks really good and I might order some online.
  • 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
  • 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat peanut butter (I used chunky style, cause the peanuts were nice to have in the mix)
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
  • 1/2 cup green onion, chopped (optional)

Directions:
  1. In a colander drain and rinse Miracle Noodles very well. Pat dry with a few paper towels. Set aside.
  2. Whisk peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside. **we used about double everything except peanut butter as the peanut butter flavor was much too overpowering. It may have been the type of peanut butter I used.
  3. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften and brown in spots, about 6 minutes.
  4. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the pan along with bell pepper noodles, and garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes.
  5. Remove from the heat; stir in the reserved peanut sauce and toss to coat.
  6. Garnish with fresh chopped green onions.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups

Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 239 calories; 16 g fat; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber

**found via LaaLoosh - go here for a printable version. 
Baked Crab Rangoons:


Ingredients:
  • 1 can (6 oz.) white crabmeat, drained and chopped
  • 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • ½ teaspoon Sriracha  **I actually forgot this at the store and substituted with chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons finely sliced chives, plus more for garnish
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 12 won ton wrappers 

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Sriracha, chives, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
  3. Place 1 won ton wrapper in each 12 mini muffin cups. The edges of the won ton wrappers will extend beyond the mini muffin tin cups and may need to be folded slightly. Fill the center of each won ton cup with crab mixture.
  4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges of cups are golden brown and filling is heated through. Garnish with reserved chives.

This recipe was found at My Baking Addiction.
I'm not joking around - these were easy recipes and WAY worth putting the effort into. I think it took me about 60 minutes total from start to finish, includes cutting the veggies and taking pictures as I go, but I did have the chicken already pre-cooked so that helped with timing/stress level. I think it will only take me about 40 minutes the next time now that I'm more familiar with how they it all comes together.
ENJOY!!!

5 comments:

  1. Raven said...:

    Wow that looks good! It also looks like it's a lot of work.

  1. Lynette said...:

    oh oh oh that looks amazing! I am sending it on to my favorite cook with hopes and dreams of it arriving at my doorstep!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    oh bless you...we are making this this coming weekend come hell or high water...it looks delish

  1. Denis said...:

    I still have fond memories of http://www.boboli.com/

    The website says
    Boboli® is pronounced: Bö bö lë

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    GREAT JOB!!! it does look fantastic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails