Welcome to My World at Work!

Hello Everyone! Welcome to my work world!

I work in a cubicle world. I've been here a few years now and I don't hate the cubicle life as much as I thought I would. When I first started with this company, we had normal, high-wall cubicles but we renovated soon after and now we are low-wallers. I think the low-wall is the way to go. We pop up like gophers all the time, it's really convenient to be able to join in a conversation and make eye contact.
Here's a view of the cube world:



Pics of Andrew galore. It took me almost a year to get any photos up. Still no frames (so I can make a fast escape if needed). I have a bookmark (green and black) and a large picture from Africa Bridge, one of my favorite nonprofits. The bamboo there is actually topped off a coworkers plant which was growing to the ceiling and she was worried her plant would fall over but didn't want to throw it away. It's never really been happy in my cube, but I do what I can with it.


LOVE this poster! My title is Data Analyst - note that this is not my picture or my computer on this poster. It's from 1987 - check out the monster of a machine she is working on!!  This was found at a recycled craft supply store-I took it right off their wall and paid them 50cents for it. Total score!! 

Here we have a dog postcard I've had forever that says Stay Focused: Live for your dreams. I love this. And two more pics of Andrew. I love him. A one-year anniversary card that I'm keeping til I get my five-year card. A small zebra, a small wooden giraffe-both important. The toy is from Splash Mountain, circa 1996 and a memory of when Andrew was a wee one and life was simple. The bracelet at the base of the Splash Mountain bear is direct from Tanzania and is a thank you gift for the abc posters I helped send there.

Plants!! I have a prime spot for healthy plants. The yellow cat is a travelling visitor. We pass it around my teammates cubicles and one day you will just walk in and he'll be amongst your stuff. Not sure how or why this got started. I like the cat though. I also have an african tribal man made out of metal, another african thing in front of the non-planted plant (ghetto). And as every person who has lived in asia is obligated to do-I have a little waving kitty watching over me.

One of the lovely girls who sit near me was walking down the hall one day with her hands full of laptop, phone, papers, pen, full glass of water and as she got to my area, she said, I probably shouldn't be walking with a full glass of water over my laptop....and then she tripped and the water spilled everywhere and she jumped back a bit to save the laptop, which dug a little gouge in the pillar directly in front of me. I have a direct view of this gouged area, it's at my eye sight and I'll see it the rest of my life (or until I get fired. Or until I marry a rich man and quit.). I added a little note as it is better to have 100 people who walk by it laugh at the note instead of ask what happened to the wall.

My window view. This was taken on a bright (rare) sunny morning so the blinds directly in front of me have to be at half-mast to protect my precious eyes.

That's what I see all day every day - except on the glorious day when I get to work from home, and the weekends when I like to never think about my cubicle.

Any of you work in a cubicle? Love it? Hate it?

14 comments:

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    i don't work in a cubicle but I share an office with 2 other chicks. i wish i had my own office desperately.

    i like your tour and your plants.

  1. Lynette said...:

    I am at home all the time...but have a big ol desk that I think I live in!

  1. Debbie said...:

    Your cubicle is nice! I haven't ever had a private office so the cube thing is OK by me:)

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice. you have made your cube your own...great to see lots of pics of andrew...and nice giraffe...i escaped cube world, never going back....

  1. I am a cubicle world person too and I like it :) Mine is not nearly as neat as yours though---I have stuff all over the place. We have high cubes which is necessary for my job but we pop up all the time and say hi :)

  1. I like it--you have a window view and lots of character surrounding you! As cubes go, that's one of the better ones I've ever seen.

  1. Slyde said...:

    i was downgrade from a manager's office to a cubicle about 2 years ago... i generally hate it.

    ps..i love scrabble flash! got it for my son for christmas!

  1. Raven said...:

    You have some pretty sweet things in your cubicle! :D

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    I can't believe you have so many things in your cube! I had no idea. I don't have one single personal item here! This has inspired me to add something!

  1. Heather said...:

    Nice tour! When I created my office area (here at the house), I kinda made it cubicle and I am here more than any other place in the house!

  1. Pretty nice cubicle space. The first thing I noticed was all the photos of Andrew, that's what I always did in all of my work spaces, put up photos of my kidlets.
    I love tha plants and all you special momentos, I truly think it helps make a person more productive.
    Thanks for the tour.

  1. carma said...:

    I worked in a cubicle for years. Hated every minute of it.

    Love the Data Analyst poster - I always wonder what kind of data are all these data analysts analyzing and how much analyzing does it need??? ;-)

  1. kilax said...:

    I love the tour!!! We have lower cubicle panels too and it's great. People are worried about going with lower panels, but people naturally get quieter. Well, the considerate ones do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails