Here, Take My Teeth for Your Collection

Somewhere in this house is a little wooden box with a sliding door. It fits in the palm of your hand and just looks like a piece of decorative wood, until you slide it open and you find....teeth. This is totally normal, right?

When Andrew was about six, our lovely cat Tasha had to have her molars pulled. We came home one day and found that one of her fangs was sideways, poking out, a bloody mess. So we rushed her to the vet and found that it was rotten and so was the other, so the vet pulled them both. Being a six-year old boy, Andrew thought these were really cool to see. So we kept them in this little wooden box, out of sight and out of mind.

And then when Andrew was about seven, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I was very fortunate, given my high-anxiety of all things dental, and they all four just popped right out. Andrew told me beforehand that he wanted to see them, so I had the nurse put them in a little packet and I brought them home...and he put them in the box with Tasha's teeth.

We have a shark tooth that he was given at some point and something else...I'm not sure where the box is at present, or I would give you a better inventory.

Today - we have some new teeth for the collection.

Andrew's wisdom teeth were due to come out this month. He had an appt scheduled for Friday the 15th and he was irritated with me because he didn't want a Friday appt: "it will ruin my entire weekend!"  But then he got accepted to USC and they have a reception in our city for all local future-USC Trojans on the 16th and I felt that it wouldn't be best to potentially have him swollen and in pain when he meets his future classmates, so I moved it. To the next Friday.

And he was irritated with me again. He wanted me to make an appt for him on a Tuesday or Wednesday. But I refused...Friday it was going to be and that was that!

Until about 4am this morning when I was awoken by Andrew digging in my bathroom medicine cabinet looking for advil/ibuprofin for this horrible tooth pain he was having. We actually lost our bottle of ibuprofin about a month ago and since I suck at life sometimes, I never found it or bought another...and poor Andrew was left to suffer. I evenutally found some in my work bag-yay mom of the year-but there wasn't a lot of sleep happening this morning for poor achy Andrew.

So I called the dentist first thing, made him an appointment for after school...but then he didn't make it an hour into classes before he was texting me that he was in too much pain to wait. I was able to bump up the appointment to 1130. And at 1135, Andrew called and said they were going to take out his wisdom teeth right now.

And just like he wanted - he got his wisdom teeth pulled today-a Wednesday. AND just like his lucky mom - they popped right out and they called me to come get him 15 minutes after they started!!! We cashed in some serious karma points at the dentist!

They gave him some pain pills and I gave him one soon after we got home and had put something soft in his belly, but that was that. He's had no pain, he's not swollen -NOTHING. Which is great since he has a choir concert tomorrow night and his men's choral group is performing for the first time.

Could he be any luckier?? I don't know how....but I'm really thankful that he is!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    ugh. teeth are a sore subject for me...the dentist as a kid told me i had no wisdom teeth..guess what i do and they have been playing havoc...

  1. EmptyNester said...:

    Our girls were the same way- their wisdom teeth all popped right out too. It's so much better these days. When I had mine out it might as well have been back in the old west days when the barber was also the dentist. UGH!

  1. Kaylen's mom said...:

    Yay for Andrew - glad he had an easy time at the dentist. Give him a hug from his Grandpa and Grandma

  1. Lynette said...:

    wonderful wonderful
    great karma to be sure

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    man that sucks he was in pain. but yay for easy teeth.

  1. Raven said...:

    You are both so lucky. My wisdom teeth were seriously impacted and they had to put me under and there was this huge nerve totally wrapped around one of the roots and I had nerve damage so the entire right side of my jaw was numb for 2 years. It wasn't pleasant in any way.

  1. Julie said...:

    Oh how I wish it had been that easy for me. Thank goodness for you guys. We have a little box too, of all those special teeth. From puppies to people.
    Just had to stop by and see what's up on your end of the world.
    Take care and have a blessed weekend.

  1. carma said...:

    phew! glad to hear it all went off OK. Good dental karma is the bestest :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails