Sundays In My City: Downtown Randomness

Today was glorious weather!!!

But first..one of the girls who volunteers with me frequently was having a jewelry party on Saturday. I had been up early for Comcast Cares day (volunteer event) and wasn't going to go, but I always feel bad not going because it's hard to get people to come to those types of parties, and it was really meant to just be a time to hang out and drink wine with people. So for about three hours before the party, I kept saying, I'm not going to go, tired, last night home alone, just want to do nothing...but then twenty minutes before the start time, I decide: I'M GOING!!! So I changed out of my comfy house clothes and rushed off. When I found the house, there was only one car in the driveway and I was like, phew! Thank god I decided to come!! Only one other person showed!! And then....her husband answered the door and told me that the party was LAST NIGHT!!! Grrr. I can't remember the last time I put something on my calendar on the wrong date!!

Anyway, so back to today. The weather was PERFECT!!!
My friend Jen and her gorgeous daughter met me in downtown Portland to go to the Chinese Gardens. I got there early and parked far away so I would have to walk and get some good exercise. And walk I dd. I walked for an hour before meeting them, and then we walked for another two hours or so. It wasn't a fast walk, for sure-how fast can you walk with a 5 year old....but according to my calculations, I walked for about 4.4 miles today. And I took about 185 pictures....yikes. That's a lot to sort through!! Here's some random stuff I found in my city:
Simple sign.

My favorite photo subject!


Wall art
I gave him a dollar for not trying to be a prostitute.


Really odd flower - any idea what this is??

Random shelf on a wall. We found three books on it. We took them all.

Famous local saying.

Cool bike rack..or bench?

Every china town needs a Hung Far Low restaurant.

Flowers at the Chinese Gardens.

Beautiful Adrienne at her favorite spot in the gardens.

Random saying on a stone block at the waterfront.


To explore other cities, check out Unknown Mami via this snazzy button:


Unknown Mami

11 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    haha the dude with the sign...too funny...looks like a good walk and some good company as well...

  1. unmitigated me said...:

    It's a fancy Jack-in-the-pulpit. Here's a link:
    http://www.naturehills.com/product/jack_in_the_pulpit_sikokianum.aspx

  1. Keetha Broyles said...:

    Unmitigated beat me to it! I was going to say it looks like SOME variety of Jack-in-the-pulpit!

    Fun tour of your city. Don't you just HATE it when you show up someplace at the wrong date/time???? I thought I was the only one who did that.

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    Wow. It looks like you live in a super fun place

  1. Love the guy with the sign.

    In Tampa a few months I saw a guy with a sign that said "I'll be honest I need a beer." I thought it was hilarious and wish I could have snapped his picture.

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Fun! Love the photos! I can't believe you took those books though! I viewed it as art.

  1. Looks like it was a great day of schlepping around! I've done that "show up on the wrong night" too--so embarrassing.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    I appreciate the humor of the "too ugly..." sign.

  1. Denis said...:

    Great photos! Great models including "too ugly" one

  1. Spot said...:

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! It's how I meet interesting new people!

    I live in the country. Waaaayyy out in the country. So I really enjoyed your city pictures. The guy with the sign was hilarious. I would have given him a couple of bucks too.

    ♥Spot

  1. Heather said...:

    Your favorite model is just adorable!
    I love getting to see stuff in other cities, that whale was neat.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails