Volunteering by Making Relay for Life Luminarias, and Eff You Cancer!

One of the absolutely best things about working for the company I do is that we are given 16 volunteer hours a year. It's actually one of the main reasons I chose to leave my old job for this one, because I love working for a company that values giving back.

And even better is that they plan a few projects a year that are on-site, making it way convenient to donate some time towards a good cause. Tuesday, we had a couple small projects to work on, one of which was to make paper bag lanterns, or luminarias, for a local Relay for Life (hosted by the American Cancer Society). If you don't know, here's some info about it:
The American Cancer Society Relay For Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease. At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Because cancer never sleeps, Relays are overnight events up to 24 hours in length.
I made three bags: one for my sister, one for my uncle and one that simply says: Eff Cancer.

Front side - my sister had some freakish rare cancer that was found after my niece was born. She wasn't expected to live a decde. It's been 16 years. Eff you cancer. Jenny kicked your ass.


back side

My uncle passed away last year. My most prominent memory of him was on a big (to my young eyes) motorcycle that looked nothing like this picture. Eff you cancer.

We made a lot of luminarias!! Oh, and eff you cancer.

Is there anyone out there who hasn't been affected by this horrible disease?? It's just effing ridiculous. I hate it. HATE it.

5 comments:

  1. Raven said...:

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad your sister kicked it though. That's awesome! Both my grandma and uncle died of cancer. My grandma had bladder cancer that metastasized and spread pretty much everywhere and my uncle had cancer resulting from Agent Orange in Vietnam. I hate cancer. (I also have a grudge against the US gov't).

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    thanks for kicking back...cute bags...nope my dad, uncle, cousin all have it...cancer sucks

  1. Oh, the pain--it looks like this event is so cathartic.
    Hands down, "cancer" is one of the scariest words I know.

  1. Debbie said...:

    That is great that your company supports volunteerism like that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails