Watch My Garden Garden - May Edition

I meant to take regular pictures of my garden, but I've been a bit of a slacker thus far.

It's coming along well though!! I had some seedlings that I planted - my purple pepper plants and some lettuce, which I planted a few weeks ago under a cloche, and they are coming along...but what I learned is that growing plants from seed in your house takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R.


About seven weeks ago, I bought some four-inch tall plants from our local organic gardening store: onions, broccoli and lettuce starts, and planted them under the cloche before the weather was really supportive of my gardening endeavors, but they did fabulously! I had no idea but putting plants under a cover means you can plant earlier and later as the cloche covering will raise the temperature of the soil from 4-10 degrees. AND another amazing thing is that it helps the soil maintain its' moisture, so you don't have to water that much. It keeps heat and moisture - total score, right? I kept the cloche on my plants for seven weeks. They survived through below freezing weather, and I didn't water them even one time. It did rain a few times, which worked out perfect as the water that did get into the soil through the cloche cover, lasted longer than if the soil was exposed.

I added a few more starts this last weekend: chives, a cucumber plant, basil, tomatoes, and a rosemary plant. I have flowers to plant in my beds to attract some friendly bugs and I'm going to start some other seedlings in a few weeks, so I should have a wave of veggies to pick in a few weeks (I can actually pick a few lettuce leafs now!) and then in a couple months, I'll have a wave of new veggies ready to be harvested!

And the raspberry and black berries that I planted at the end of summer last year are doing amazing - looking forward to picking some berries in another month or so!
How's your garden coming along?

11 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    yum on the berries....i am a sucker for fruit and in particular berries...the grapes are budding on our arbor...cant wait...

  1. We planted some seeds on Saturday the 14th and thanks to the downpour we got the same day and the next day, they had sprouted within the week! Not sure what they are just yet, but Sprite is hoping it flowers.

  1. Alison said...:

    Some things are doing better than others. I need to get some starts so that I don't have to wait as long!!! It seems like forever till my seeds will be actual veggies!!

  1. You are doing a wonderful job over there! Still planting here--it finally warmed up enough. Am picking our first asparagus, too, which is nice. I planted them last year.

  1. Raven said...:

    What a delightful garden!! I don't have a garden, partly cuz I live in an apartment and partly cuz I have a black thumb. Every plant I bring into my house dies within a week. It's a bummer.

  1. carma said...:

    my garden is coming along great - for the simple reason that I have nothing to do with it, yet it keeps expanding each year and keeps my husband out of trouble :D

  1. unmitigated me said...:

    Raised beds raise the soil temps like that, too.

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    looks great. seems like you are enjoying it.

  1. kilax said...:

    Do you like the lettuce? We planted some last year and it was so bitter! Maybe yours is better?

    We need something to cover our green beans so they don't get fried in the sun this year. I am not sure if it will be a cloche or something else. I am happy yours has worked so well! You are going to have a lot of produce!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    i am always envious of people who have a garden, but im never envious enough to actually get off my ass to do one myself..

    slyde
    www.slydesblog.com

  1. My garden's looking fantastic, though my peonies collapsed the other day because it rained and I forgot to put rings around them when they were still small enough.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails