Journey to an Empty Nest, Part One

Last week, I began this road trip that would venture throughout California and end up at my very own empty nest.

At 37 years old, I dropped my baby boy off at college. And I now live alone for the first time in my life. Very strange. Very surreal.

Andrew and I took a three day journey down to Los Angeles, driving six (ish) hours a day, stopping at one major place a day. It was quite an easy and relaxing drive. I'm very thankful for my new car-it's so comfy and nice to drive.

Day one we went through the Redwoods, Avenue of the Giants and the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway. If you get carsick -in any way-this route is NOT for you. It's all curves, all the time.
Creative name.
Really. It's big.

REALLY big.

Came across a herd of about 30 wild elk.
Eating lunch, so we left them alone.
Next day was San Francisco.
San Francisco was a wee bit foggy.

But the fog cleared out by lunchtime at the pier.
A little chocolate hedgehog! Delicious. I dropped an eyeball on the pier. Sad.
Jellyfish at the aquarium on the pier.
Spirals of fish.

We got lost and stumbled upon this killer museum. We walked the grounds and took a gazillion photos. It's like a painting! Too beautiful to be real.
Took a stop to see Andrew's Nana, who lives in San Fran.
Day three was a drive to L.A.
This ranch literally has over 1,200 cattle!! It's cows as far as you can see. The smell is a tiny bit overwhelming.
Weird mounds of dirt in the middle of nowhere.
And before we knew it, we arrived at USC!!!!!!!!! Remember last time we came here and I was really unhappy that I didn't get a famous Tommy Trojan photo with Andrew? We can disregard that - I finally got one!

Andrew's new home for the next four years!!
And later that day, my sweet little mama flew down and we began the journey back - another three days on the road, nonstop touristy-stuff was ahead. I'll save that for the next post.



7 comments:

  1. Kaylen's mom said...:

    I had a wonderful time on our marathon sightseeing trip home from LA. Hard to leave your "baby" at college though. He is so grown up now.
    Love you!!

  1. Aw, I bet he's loving it though! Home will always be where you are.

  1. What an incredible road trip! Bummer about the hedgehog eye, though... I think it's great how you two share adventures like that together.

  1. Hyla said...:

    Awesome way for him to start college!

    What is that museum called that you stumbled across??????

  1. Vidya Sury said...:

    Lovely post, Kaylen! It is scary sometimes how children seem to grow up so fast!

    I wish Andrew all the best!

  1. Denis said...:

    Hey, If there's snow on the I-5 pass you can avoid it by taking your route by the sea shore?

    P.S. Nice pictures as always

  1. carma said...:

    those are some great photos - and fun adventure with your son. I've never been to this area of the country and those trees are as big as they say - amazing. I'm not looking forward to the empty nest years :-(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails