Foster Parent Adventures - The One Where I Was Under Attack

Last weekend I had the same six-year old foster boy I had the week prior, just for one night.

At the end of the first day, after I tucked this darling little boy into bed, I thought-wow, he's just a super-sweet boy!! Why do other respite workers have such a hard time with him??? And I assumed that he's just different with me because we have a connection and I have a good style that fits his needs. Clearly, some adults fit better with some children, simple as that.

And then Sunday morning happened.

Sunday morning involved hearing that sweet little boy repeatedly scream: Knock it off, bitch.
Sunday morning involved throwing toys.
Sunday morning involved kicking and hitting.
Sunday morning involved tears, lots of tears (his, not mine).
Sunday morning involved spitting.
Sunday morning involved restraining an angry, furious little boy, struggling to hold his arms and legs at his sides while not losing my temper in the process.
Sunday morning involved a NIGHTMARE - for both of us.

I don't know what set him off. It was nothing I did - I had simply asked him to come swallow his medication, something I have asked about six other times in our short time together over the two weekends. Something just didn't connect in his little brain and he lost it. Totally and completely lost it.

And then it was over and he was crying and telling me that he doesn't know what is wrong, or why he was upset, and he's just tired and can we sit and watch a movie. And then we moved on. And four hours later, I was thinking to myself - wow, he's just a super-sweet little boy!!

4 comments:

  1. Poor kid--what's going on that makes him fly out of control I wonder? And how dreadful for him and the people around him.

  1. Denis said...:

    Nice that you had happy ending

  1. Vidya Sury said...:

    My heart goes out to the little boy. You're doing such a wonderful thing, Kaylen. God bless you!

  1. Tracy said...:

    Good for you for focusing on the positive! When I have children with emotional disabilities in my classroom and they have a meltdown, I reinforce to them that those are difficult 'moments' not entire days that can't be remedied. Good for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails