Foster Parenting - The Kitten Edition Wrap-Up

The foster kitten parenting is coming to an end soon. Its not something I think I can really do on my own with my work schedule just starting to get busy. It wouldn't be fair to the kittens or to my cats.

When I come home, I always try to spend the first bit of time with our cats, as they shouldn't ever be neglected because of my silly choices, right?



Once my cats stop caring about my immediate attention, or in approximately nine minutes, I can escape to the bedroom where the babies live. But all this week it has only been one baby. Pip/Pippa/Pipsqueak/Pip-A-Lot is our last.

Frankie and Ella needed to get to the shelter so they could have the chance to get adopted. I love them and they loved me, but it was time to go sit in a window and look cute and hope their new family finds them soon. 

Unfortunately, we found out this afternoon that my beloved Frankie-the tabby cat-had some kind of rapid fast acting sickness, threw up something horrid looking and then died within 24 hours! Devastating!!! His sister is now in foster care being watched over to make sure she doesn't have the same bug. Sad!

Kate Middleton...she was this sweet little thing who just adored Andrew and who would have been ready to be adopted in just three days, suddenly got very sick and passed away quietly in the night, two days before she was due to go back to the shelter to be adopted. It was literally 48 hrs from being a happy, playful cat to being a lethargic, non-responsive cat.  So sad. We always said that Kate would have no problem getting adopted-she was just a great kitty and happy to play or sit with anyone.



And so now we just have little Pip. We adore her so much, she will for sure be the hardest to say goodbye to. Maybe Andrew will have to take her back to the shelter alone...If she would stay her exact size forever, I would want to keep her. But I know she will all too soon be a big fluffball, leaving fur EVERYWHERE and filling a litterbox much sooner than she does as a mini-kitten. Shes not even kitten size yet-shes a mini kitten. Ugh, I love her!!  She has the greatest personality. Someone will swoop her up and give her a wonderful home though-she is no shelter cat.


So that might be it for foster kittens this summer. I have a lot of work commitments coming up soon and I just cant commit to giving the best care. And it's time to get back to fostering kids on the weekends. It has been a nice break but I know they need help also.

But I don't know if any of them will match Pippa's cuteness.


Kitten foster parenting was fun, but I didn't realize that so many kittens die!!! A friend of mine had a litter of five she was caring for and three of them died within a week. We cared for four and two of them died! So tragic. But even with all the sadness of kittens dying, there are still a gazillion at the shelters, and thus I leave you with this message:  Spay or neuter your pets!!!


0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails