One Year Later- I Now Really Notice My Beloved Heart


Last week was the one year mark of my heart stent event.

It's been a long year of massive amounts of medications, half of which I don't feel I should be taking, cardiac rehab, short term memory loss, aches and pains, and a little bit of bitterness towards one of my major organs. Oh and maybe a year of whining to my poor friends.

But that year is over. On to the next year!!

Some facts you might not know:

  • One in four women dies from CHD, making it the #1 killer of women, regardless of race or ethnicity.
  • One in three adult females has some form of cardiovascular disease.
  • Nearly 60% more women die of CVD (both CHD and stroke) than from all cancers combined.
  • Approximately 64% of women (as opposed to 50% of men) who die suddenly from CHD did not have any classic warning symptoms.
My story is one where I didn't have classic warning symptoms. 

And as such-I am now VERY aware of whether my body is reacting differently when I go for a walk or do anything physical. How often are you actually AWARE of your heart and how it's beating? Probably not that often-I certainly wasn't before. 

In a way, it's kind of interesting. Your body does these amazing things, and the organs inside your body are basically doing magic tricks all day, and we never even think about it!

So for one small bit of time today-think about your heart. And make note of how it feels normally and hopefully you will be able to catch it when it does not behave normally.

3 comments:

  1. Kaylen's mom said...:

    We love you! Glad you are doing okay now.

  1. What a scary thing you went through--it sure made ME thankful for my heart. And your heart, too!

  1. carma said...:

    Glad to hear your ticker is doing well - excellent advice for all!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails