Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged

Someone told me I am kind of judgmental the other day and I was taken aback and saddened that she would think that. I had to stop and reevaluate everything I've ever said and done around her and determine what was it I said to make her think I am a judgmental person.

A person that judges others without getting to know that person or having proof of what they are judging them for. Judgemental people can unfairly judge in many aspects of society: politics; religion; business; race problems, etc.


But maybe it's not possible to NOT be. Don't we all have a first glance at something and think a certain thought about it without really knowing all the information? Isn't that slightly what happens in first impressions - you judge someone based on how they look, or what they say first, or their mannerisms - and is it possible to NOT have a first impression?

Today I went to a local electronics store to talk to a techy person about fixing a broken laptop we have. My first impression of him was not great - he had long broken fingernails (here I go, judging him on his looks) and he wasn't the least bit impressed that I opened the laptop up to try and see if I could fix it myself and made a snide remark about being more knowledgeable about such things than I am (while he was judging me here, I was judging him for assuming I know nothing).

Every day on my walk to work, I pass by no less than a dozen homeless people. Some are still curled up in sleeping bags with large bags next to them, and their shoes very close by. I never judge them, but I know a lot of people who do. For some reason, I think more favorable thoughts towards the homeless people than I do for the obviously wealthy person exiting the hotel further down the road, wearing ultra-expensive clothes and getting into the sports car. I think I have had more positive experiences with people who are extremely poor compared to the extremely wealthy. 

But does that make me a bad person for judging them? Isn't it something that we do as humans? We jump to conclusions, we make assumptions, we believe what we want - with NO information to support our beliefs.

So I accept that I may be judgmental. I just hope that I can stay true to keeping an open mind and a kind heart to counterbalance it all.

4 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    tricky question...i think on some level we have to make a decision on face value as to our safety..is that being judgemental...probably in the strictest terms...is it always right...no...i think we often make snap judgments...it is then taking that next step to validate or discredit it..

  1. Mom Taxi Julie said...:

    I think it would be pretty hard not to judge anything. It's pretty much human nature.

  1. Denis said...:

    Sometimes I think I'm better than x but then say (less often) but y is better than me.

  1. I make more assumptions about wealthy people that I do of poor people. I think it's because I've had a lot more encounters with snotty rich people than poor people.

    There's a woman who works the window at a little drive-thru food place near here. She looks like a hot mess, but she is the one of the sweetest people I know. We always tell each other how happy we are to see each other.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails