Oh My, Elephants Charging..My Response: A Giggle

I have just returned from AFRICA!!!!  Every time I have thought about going to Africa, in my head, I shout the name - it's just too unbelievable. But I was there, and it still seems slightly unbelievable.
I have much to share - about the country, about Johannesburg, about the food, about the animals, about the land, about my experiences...but this was my last 40 hours:
Starting on Tues morning - ending at noon on Wednesday:

  • 5:30am: Wakeup call
  • 6:00am - 9:45am: Morning game drive
  • 10:00 - 11:00am: Shuttle service to take me from the campground where I was staying to the city nearby
  • 11:00 - 11:30am: Peer pressured into having a double shot of rum at the local pub where I was awaiting the next shuttle
  • 11:45 - 5:15pm: Beautiful drive through the countryside to get to the airport
  • 5:30 - 7:30pm: Check in, spend last handful of South African Rand (dollars), stand in line for ages, take a nice anxiety pill.
  • 8:30pm - get on flight to Atlanta for SIXTEEN hours
  • ...no idea what time or day it is anymore....
  • 3 hour layover in Atlanta. Spend most of it observing people imaging who are celebrities (I think I may have seen the Duggers)
  • 5.5 hrs on a flight from Atlanta to Portland
  • 10 min shuttle to my car
  • 25 min drive - HOME!!!!
I have elephant dung on my tennis shoes, sand in my backpack, ridiculously smelly laundry to get done, and about 900 photos to get sorted. And TONS to blog about.

But for now - here's a fun video from one of my safari game drives when an elephant decided to charge at our vehicle (listen for the giggle):

Note that this is a teenage female - she's not a mom protecting her baby, not an aggressive lone male. Just a naughty teenager. We'd been sitting in the same spot for about 15-20 minutes observing the herd and she suddenly got a bit irritated with us watching.

4 comments:

  1. Kaylen's mom said...:

    That is soooo cool! I think I would have been terrified to have the elephant coming at us. Glad you had such an awesome trip.

  1. Natalie said...:

    How awesome is that!? I loved your conversation with the safari lady - "Oh, just a heads up." Hahaha. I can't wait to hear all about your trip!

  1. What a trip! What an experience to be THAT close to an elephant!

    And then to head home and see real live Duggars!

  1. Lenore Webb said...:

    Come on we all know that teen girls can be moody!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails