Adventures in Malaysia - Photo Edition

After spending two weeks in Bangkok, I was off to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to meet with my team located there. The weather was similar to Bangkok - ridiculously hot and humid. I adore my coworkers but overall comparing the two countries, I would almost say the people of Bangkok were more friendly in general. The people in Malaysia are very laid-back though and I loved how quick they were to share a story. Every taxi driver I spoke to was ready with something to share about their country, or their hometown, or the city, or where they would like to go in America (Vegas was the most popular answer to the question I never asked).
 
I can't vouch for Malaysian food, as I wasn't in a location where there were any stalls or mom-and-pop style restaurants, and the one restaurant I went to that promoted itself as Authentic Malay, I had sweet and sour chicken (hey China!) and a chicken satay (again with Thailand!). It was genuinely the best meal I had in the country, but was it really Malaysian? I was at a food disadvantage since it was Ramadan and my coworkers were not eating during daylight hours and my hotel was set off from the main part of the city. I will return in mid-September and we have food plans already in place.
 
FYI- if you want to lose any weight you might have gained on the first part of your trip, plan the latter part of your trip in a country that is fasting. Even though I had a coke with dinner each night and dessert almost every night, I still lost 4.5 pounds. Eating one meal a day is great for the waistline!
 


The hotel I stayed in was attached to a mall, with over 450 stores. It was pretty intense, but allowed me a place to take a walk in the evenings, as my hotel was surrounded by freeways.
The view of one section of the mega-mall from the 3rd floor balcony (there are 6 floors).


The view from my hotel room - 25 floors up.

Malaysia is a country without many guns. They are hard to get a license for and expensive to buy. I found one in the mall though! The jewelry store has a guard with a very large rifle, and he just stands there hour after hour, ready to shoot someone down? Crazy.


The view from my hotel every morning. The haze was out of control, caused by voluntary burning in Indonesia. People were not hanging outside much. The air just didn't feel right. Thanks Indonesia!
Reading the morning paper about the haze...note the box in the middle - personalized advertisement!! This particular cola company is advising you to buy their soda to "fight the haze." Ridiculous.
 
Hungry for corn but don't want to go to a restaurant? No problem!! Just head for the mall kiosk and get yourself some corn in a cup!

The McDonalds in the mega mall had an ice cream station in the front of the restaurant so that if you were just interested in buying ice cream of some sort, you didn't have to go inside and wait in line. Note the three ice cream cones...normal, normal, and Green Apple?? I didn't get a chance to try it (I had already had dessert the day I found it and never made it back this way), but I'll check it out when I return next month.


This was a breakfast option in the bakery and I think there was a typo on the sign. It should read: Sausage No Appetite. Cause this looks quite unappetizing.




About 95% of the people driving a motorcycle looked like this - driving along, wearing a coat backwards. I guess it's to protect their arms from the wind and sun, but it's so hot that as soon as they stop, they need to take the coat off quickly. Two of the taxi drivers I spoke to about this said that it's done because people are too lazy and don't want to take them on and off all the time.


Also to note about motorcycles - although there are safety laws, most people do their own thing. Such as driving a motorcycle with a baby on your lap. I saw this so many times!!! Another one I really wanted to capture a pic of was the male driver with a toddler in front of him, then a female sitting behind him balancing a tiny baby in-between them. I just wasn't fast enough to get the shot for that, but I saw that exact scenario at least three times.
The streets of Chinatown. I hated it. I love to bargain shop and I love exploring, looking for treasures. I do not love when people harass you to buy things from them or give you an asking price of more than double of what it should be and then have a debate with you to bring it down to a normal price. This was my least favorite place in all of my travels and I could not leave there fast enough!


BABY MONKEYS!!!!!!!


The bird park in Kuala Lumpur claims to have one of the largest flights in the world (a flight is an open area for birds to fly around in). I walked miles and miles uphill to find this place, slightly lost and maybe dehydrated - but it was worth it to sit with an eagle and owl on my arms. This is in a special photo section, where they charge you money to have an employee put a bird of your choice on your arm, but then they give you the option to have the picture taken with your own camera or with their camera and printed out. I opted for my camera and was pleasantly surprised to see that he didn't just take one quick photo - he took a dozen!!! All for about $4.00. DEAL!!
 
Taking a moment with a friend behind a waterfall.



Clever garbage cans at the bird park! They had different bird trash bins all around the park.



MONKEYS!!!!


MONKEYS BARING TEETH!!!!!
 
In a Muslim country, even construction workers stop and face Mecca to pray wherever they are at the time they need to pray. Note the grassy area between the roads - they just rolled out their prayer mat and took a moment (or 20).



Driving in Kuala Lumpur is like a video game. As a frequent rider in taxi cabs, I was winning the entire time. On the way home from the office every day, we went by an international school and I happened to be going home at the same time the school let out every day. The school doesn't have a parking area for parents to pull in and pick up the kids, and the school is located on a busy 5-lane road. So every day at 3pm, parents just pull over on the road and wait for their child to come out. Even if that means blocking 3 of the 5 lanes!! The most inefficient school transportation system ever. Cars get blocked in and even if your child comes out, you might be on the far left lane, surrounded by 30 other cars, 27 of which are also blocked in.

Apparently there is a scam going on against tourists - a person will sit on the street and beg for money as the tourist goes by. The kind-hearted tourist will stop and as they go to drop some money in the beggar's cup, a motorcycle drives by and they snatch the persons purse and drive off into the bustling traffic. This sign reads something like: Don't snatch purses!

6 comments:

  1. Natalie said...:

    I wonder how many people throw trash at the real birds because they are confused by the bird garbage cans. :) Also, the picture from your hotel room in Malaysia makes me want to crap my pants. Holy high up, Batman!

    The end.

  1. Kaylen's mom said...:

    these are terrific pictures. what awesome travel experiences you are having. Let me know after your next trip how the green apple ice cream is--I love green apples and I love ice cream--not sure I would like green apple ice cream!

  1. Whoa. That's some view from up there! What a fascinating place--and you're going back?!?!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    From Charlie Mac:

    I totally want that breakfast hotdog thing, it looks awesome!

  1. Kat said...:

    Wow! I love the pictures! It looks like an amazing place. And it makes me want to travel the world and see it all. Thank you for sharing with us! :)

  1. Bijoux said...:

    Thank you for sharing such great pics! I got a kick out of corn in a cup and green apple ice cream.

    I'm not a real fan of Chinatown in NYC, so yeah, that looks like a place I wouldn't care for either.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails